Enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems integrate internal and external management of information across an entire organisation. Embracing finance / accounting, manufacturing, sales and service, customer relationship management, etc. ERP systems automate this activity with an integrated software application. The purpose of ERP is to facilitate the flow of information between all business functions inside the boundaries of the organization and manage the connections to outside stakeholders
The basic function of ERP software is to consolidate all business functions into a uniform package – a system that will allow many companies to conduct business even more professionally and successfully.
Popular Commercial Uses
ERP software is used by a wide range of companies. These are some of the most common functions and areas in which an ERP system is utilised:
- Supply Management – inventories, ordering, buying, supplier schedules, claims, calculating commissions, ordering cash and inspecting goods
- Finance and accounting – managing cash, general ledgers, fixed assets, for accounts both payable and receivable
- Manufacturing – orders of work, scheduling, managing workflow, quality control, manufacturing project and processes, measuring capacity, engineering
- Human Resources – rosters and rotas, training sessions, attendance records, performance reviews, benefit systems.
- Project Management – billing, costs, expenditures
- Customer Services – sales and marketing, services, email marketing, support services, commissions
Advantages of Using ERP Solutions
Without an ERP system, many businesses soon find themselves with several inadequate, disparate software applications. This leads to time wasted re-keying information into several systems (which is open to human error) and a multitude of systems and support contracts to be managed, along with the associated costs. Even if systems can be linked together, an upgrade on one system can cause problems, or mean that all systems need to be upgraded – at a significant cost.
With ERP software in place these problems are removed as the single, comprehensive system runs smoothly and efficiently, allowing businesses to run at a better performance level and grow at an improved rate. Many users of ERP solutions are able to increase productivity, without adding headcount, and benefit from improved reporting capabilities so that effective, informed management decisions can be made in a timely manner.
Inventories can be kept up to date with ease as the ERP software works hard to ensure that accurate forecasting is simple to access. It eliminates the need to synchronise changes between different systems as all types of applications can be consolidated (HR, sales, marketing, finance and more). Order tracking and engineering designs are also basic offerings with ERP software and the revenue cycle will be far simpler to handle. An ERP system also cuts down on the risk of losing sensitive data as it consolidates security modules and multiple permissions into just one structure. Whatever type of business you have, our ERP solutions will allow you to grow your business and run it at a far superior level.